Volunteer for Special Olympics Iowa!
Each year Special Olympics Iowa's (SOIA) programs are assisted by 14 volunteer area directors, more than 2,000 volunteer certified coaches and 15,000 other volunteers. It is no exaggeration to say that SOIA programs and services could not exist without the generous volunteer spirit of so many Iowans.
Volunteers provide valuable assistance to our athletes in each of our state games, competitions and special events. Volunteer assignments include announcers, award presenters, escorts, recorders, starters, timers and many other valuable positions.
Statewide volunteer opportunities are available for individuals, families, corporate teams, groups, etc. at the local level in communities across the state as well as at the statewide level for events coordinated directly by Special Olympics Iowa. Local program and fundraising events are managed by the area directors, to contact the individual for your area, please click here. The staff at SOIA will make every effort to match each volunteer's time and talent to the available tasks to create an atmosphere that is comfortable and inviting for all parties.
Please click here to view our calendar of events.
Volunteer Screening and Requirements
Special Olympics Iowa (SOIA) truly appreciates the thousands of volunteers who share their time and talents with Special Olympics athletes throughout the year. SOIA is committed to protecting the athletes, volunteers and staff involved with the program. Therefore, SOIA has developed a mandatory Volunteer Registration and Screening Policy for all Class A volunteers. Failure to complete the requirements may result in rejection of the application or termination of any involvement with the program.
Class A Volunteers
• Volunteers who have regular, close physical contact with athletes
• Volunteers in a position of authority or supervision with athletes
• Volunteers in a position of trust of athletes
• Volunteers who handle substantial amounts of cash or other assets of SOIA
Examples: coaches, chaperones, Athlete Leadership Program mentors, family member who drives non-related athletes.
To become a Class A Volunteer:
- Complete a Class A Volunteer application (this link is a .pdf file) - this allows us to run a background check using a national vendor (click here for a Word version of the form)
- Take the Protective Behavior Training and quiz. Click here to link to the on-line training. At the end of the quiz, you will be asked to submit your contact information. Both you and Michelle Haney will receive a confirmation email. Do not delete this in case you need to provide proof of completion. If you have problems submitting the information, click here for a Word version of the quiz. You may bold or highlight your answers and email the quiz to email@example.com. If you need to request a paper copy of the slides and quiz, call 515-986-5520 and ask for Michelle Haney.
- Submit a color photo. The easiest way to submit a photo is to email a .jpg file to firstname.lastname@example.org If you would prefer, you may mail a photo in. This will be returned to you with your credential.
All three items must be in before the background check will be run and your form processed. To be guaranteed to receive you credential by a certain date, all three items must be submitted at least 30 days in advance.
Class A Volunteers must renew their credential every 3 years by completing this process.
Class B Volunteers
• Volunteers who only have limited contact with athletes or who have contact with athletes accompanied by coaches and chaperones
Examples: Healthy Athletes program volunteers and day-of-event volunteers.
Type of Screening: Class B Volunteers DO NOT need to complete an application; however they may be asked to complete a volunteer registration form before the event or sign-in sheet at the day of the event. Volunteers may also be asked to show photo ID at events (for minors, IDs are only required to the extent available)
For more information on volunteering or any particular event, please contact Michelle Haney, Director of Volunteers and Unified Sports, at 515-986-5520 or email@example.com